Thursday, May 22, 2008

::randy pausch::


my mother bought me the last lecture for my 26th birthday. she said she hoped it would inspire me. i've wanted to read this book and watch his lecture for some time, yet never got around to doing it. time is such a funny thing.

for those of you who don't know who randy pausch is...let me fill you in. he is a professor at carnegie melon who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 3-6 months to live. he is a mentor, father of three adorable children, husband, son, brother, but most importantly an inspiration. isn't it interesting that people only really find purpose to their lives (the purpose to really live) when they don't have much of their life left? what are we all waiting for? here is his webpage complete with video of his last lecture and updates on how he is doing http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

i watched his lecture on my laptop, late last night when i couldn't sleep (still stuffed with bday cake). for 76 minutes, my eyes were glued, i was enthralled by his devotion to his family, students, and his unrelenting desire to acheive his childhood dreams and leave a mark on the world. That and he was pretty funny. It made me think about my own childhood dreams and dreams that have developed as of last few years. would i ever be able to accomplish them all? i think olympic gymnast is out of the running.

i want to leave behind a legacy. i want to be proud of my life and know that i did something that really helped others. i like to think i help animals when i volunteer at the shelter, or help clients achieve weight loss goals or do away with their blood pressure medicine. all those things are great, but they aren't on a global scale. i really hope my jewelry will be an outlet to reach people and organizations worldwide. i just keep thinking one person really can make a difference.

i am excited to have just purchased some recycled glass beads made from artisans in Ghana. the sale of their beads supports local businesses.

to be contd.......

No comments: